Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland (about 1 million people in the greater Zurich area, of which about 370,000 in the city). Home to the country's largest airport with numerous international connections, Zurich is Switzerland's main commercial and industrial center.
ETH Zurich is the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland. and is one of Europe's premier universities in the fields of Chemistry, Physics, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science.
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Zurich! For any questions please contact Claudia Günthart, ETH
The conference will take place at the ETH main building (HG). It is located at Raemistrasse 5, just in front of the tram stop (n. 6) coming from the main train station. You can take tram number 6 heading to Zoo from stop Central (you have to cross the Bahnhofbrücke bridge) or from stop Bahnofstrasse/HB (located in Bahnofstrasse). Get off at stop ETH/Universitätspital. Cross the road and enter the building.
Here is a map of the central campus with the main building.
Here are some useful hints for your arrival in Zurich.
Here is a list of hotels in Zurich that offer special rates for conference participants and that are very close to ETH (most of them 5 min. walking from the main building). Please remember to mention "TOOLS conference" when registering. You can find more hotels at the Zurich hotel index and on Expedia.
Because of the European football championship taking place in June, we strongly suggest that you book your hotel as soon as possible!
- Hotel Astor Seilergraben 69, 8001 Zurich +41 44 251 35 60 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 230, (breakfast included) single rooms: sold out. Reservation deadline: 30/5/08
- Hotel Comfort Inn Royal Leonharstrasse 6, 8001 Zurich, Tel. +41 44 266 59 59 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 220, single room: SFr. 175 (breakfast included). Reservation deadline: 30/5/08
- Hotel Du Theatre Seilergraben 69, 8001 Zurich +41 44 267 26 70 mailto Prices: single room: SFr. 145 (breakfast upon request: SFr. 18). Reservation deadline: 31/5/08
- Hotel Plattenhof Plattenstrasse 26, 8032 Zurich, Tel. +41 44 251 19 10 mailto
- Hotel Rex Weinbergstrasse 92, 8006 Zurich +41 44 360 25 25 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 180, single room: SFr. 130 (breakfast included). Reservation deadline: 30/5/08
- Hotel Rigihof Universitätsstrasse 101 Zurich +41 44 360 12 00 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 295, single room: SFr. 180/225 (breakfast included). Reservation deadline: 31/5/08
- Hotel Continental Zurich Stampfenbachstrasse 60, 8006 Zurich +41 44 360 60 60 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 270, single room: SFr. 230 (breakfast upon request: SFr. 32). Reservation deadline: 30/5/08. Please use this form for reservation
- Hotel Sunnehus Sonneggstrasse 17, 8006 Zurich Tel. +41 44 250 27 27 mailto Prices: double room: SFr. 212, single room: SFr. 155 (breakfast included). Reservation deadline: 30/5/08
Lunches will be offered at the Dozenten Foyer, located in the ETH main building (Hauptgebäude). Vouchers will be distributed. They are included in the registration fee. Also included are two coffee breaks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) and a conference dinner on Monday 30th. The conference dinner will take place at the beautiful Uto Kulm restaurant located in Uetliberg, on top of Zurich. We have reserved a train that will depart from the main station (Hauptbanhof). The trip will last 15m. Have a look at some pictures.
Access to the World Wide Web will be available to all conference members. Please pick the WLAN called 'public' in your network manager. After opening the browser you will be redirected to a log-in page where you will be asked to enter your credentials. These credentials will be written in the readme leaflet that will be handed to you at the registration desk. In case you need to access your organization's remote infrastructure (for example to send/receive emails) we kindly ask you to set up a VPN client (IPSEC or PPTP).